Just about everybody has a travel ‘Bucket List’ – a list of destinations they want to visit before they, well, kick the bucket. We prefer to think of them as dream destinations – the places we dream about going to one day (or one day soon!). The places people want to experience at least once in their lifetime. Here’s the must do list compiled from our client feedback and industry research.
1. Northern Lights. Nature’s ultimate light show, the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis are best viewed in the winter months from areas such as southern Greenland and Iceland, northwest Canada and northern Norway. Finnish Lapland has visibility for around 200 nights a year.
2. African Safari. Spotting the ‘big 5’ in the wild is a dream of many, and an African safari truly is one of the world’s most incredible experiences. Many people aspire to visit the Serengeti during the migration season – the best time to travel for this is June and July.
3. Maldives. This is the ultimate ‘wow’ factor destination, and on many people’s must do list. Just the name evokes images of luxury, indulgence, romance and beauty.
4. Galapagos Islands. Probably the world’s most famous wildlife destination where Darwin formulated his theory of natural selection. Visitor numbers are strictly controlled, so you may need to start planning your ultimate trip here sooner rather than later. We recommend small ship cruising as the best way to see these islands.
5. Grand Canyon. Consistently voted one of the most popular destinations in the USA, the Grand Canyon never fails to deliver in its majesty and beauty.
6. Machu Picchu, Inca Trail. This is the most popular archaeological site in South America, and high on many people’s ‘must visit’ list. If you aren’t into trekking and camping, there are now luxury expeditions available for those who prefer a more 5 star experience.
7. Tahiti. Bora Bora is one of those destinations many people picture themselves visiting – sitting on the deck of their overwater thatched roof bungalow, gazing at the crystal blue lagoon.
8. The Amazon. This mighty river is the stuff of legend. It has one of the most diverse eco-systems in the world and traverses 6992km through 8 countries of South America. Take a riverboat tour or experience the jungle’s selection of lodges, which range from basic to absolute luxury.
9. Route 66. This great road trip has been immortalised in many songs over the years, and it still captures the imagination of many. Hire a convertible or a Harley and hit the road.
10. Great Wall of China. Standing since 206BC, the Great Wall is a feat of engineering combined with history and culture. Many people just visit the Wall for a day trip, but there are plenty of other options, such as helicopter flights, spending a night in a boutique hotel within the Wall itself, take a cable car ride or even cycle parts of this 21,196km long structure.