There were hundreds of new hotels opened around the world in 2018, and many favourites have received an update. These are our favourites for the year.
1. OBLU Select at Sangeli, Maldives. This great value All Inclusive resort opened in July, and quickly reached full occupancy for many peak holiday seasons. The resort is perfect for couples, but also caters to families with a free Kids Club and two bedroom beach suites.
2. Six Senses Fiji (Malolo Island). This new luxury offering in Fiji opened in March. Choose from a spacious pool villa or a luxury 3, 4 or 5 bedroom residence.
3. Wild Coast Tented Camp (Yala, Sri Lanka): This is the best kind of camping – five star! Stay in the Yala National Park famous for its leopards in one of 28 luxury tent suites.
4. AYANA Komodo Resort, Waecicu Beach (Komodo National Park, Indonesia):This is the first five star hotel in the Komodo Islands. Be surrounded by natural beauty and one of the most untouched regions in the world.
5. The Middle House, China (Shanghai). With interiors by Milan-based designer Piero Lissoni, this swish hotel blends Italian verve with an Asian twist.
6. The Calile Hotel, Brisbane. Located on James Street, Fortitude Valley, this lux boutique hotel is tropical and trendy and features the popular Hellinka Greek restaurant.
7. Six Senses Bhutan. The Six Senses group have been very busy this year opening luxury hotels around the world, including in Fiji, Bali, Turkey and Cambodia. The Bhutan offering is worthy of mention as this isn’t just one hotel, it is a network of five lodges. Guests get to experience all five resorts, all in very different locations.
8. The Ritz-Carlton Koh Samui. This stunning beachfront resort features 175 suites and pool villas. There’s a great Spa and the resort overlooks the Gulf of Thailand.
9. Alila Koggala, Sri Lanka. Given how hugely successful the Alila Seminyak Bali has been, we expect this hotel to be another winner. Surrounded by rainforest, the resort is located on the banks of the Koggala Lake.