1. New Zealand is one of the least populated countries in the world.
2. It was the first country to give women the vote (in 1893).
3. There are more golf courses per capita than any other country (400).
4. There are no public drinking fountains in New Zealand.
5. New Zealand is a snake-free country.
6. Dunedin is home to the world’s steepest street (Baldwin Street). It has a 35% grade. The Dunedin Cadbury Chocolate Carnival is held in July when they roll 25,000 Jaffas down Baldwin Street. Dunedin is also home to an annual naked rugby game. It’s not known as the ‘Quirky Capital of New Zealand’ for nothing.
7. There are more Scottish Pipe Bands per capita than any other country in the world.
8. Nelson’s Blue Lake is the world’s clearest lake.
9. The South Island is home to a giant carnivorous snail.
10. There is no advertising on television on Good Friday, Easter Sunday, ANZAC Day and Christmas Day.