Whether you’re a honeymooner, empty nester or just a couple that wants to have a special holiday away from kids, these are our favourite destinations and hotels where kids aren’t welcome! Many of these resorts are also All Inclusive, allowing you to relax and enjoy the kids-free zone without having to worry about a thing.
Top Adults-Only Resort Destinations
1. Maldives. This popular collection of islands is a haven for those wanting to have a child-free holiday. Although there are plenty of family-friendly resorts, you’ll find a huge array of resorts welcoming over 18 year olds, and some with an over 12 years restriction.
2. Mexico. Cancun and Tulum are famous for their sprawling adults-only all inclusive resorts. Although the majority are huge mega-resorts, there are a few gorgeous boutique offerings also.
3. Fiji. Fiji has really captured the adults-only resort market with a great choice of resorts suitable for honeymooners, older couples and even groups of friends. Some of our favourites are Qamea Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island Resort, Lomani Resort and Likuliku Resort.
4. Bahamas. Resorts in the Bahamas are mainly focussed on couples, but there is a great variety to choose from, across many islands. Our top picks are Sandals Emerald Bay on Great Exuma, Graycliff Hotel on Nassau and the resort within a resort at Cove Atlantis. This is an adults only haven within the Atlantis mega-resort. So the young at heart still have access to the sprawling aquatic park spread throughout Atlantis Resort.
5. Vanuatu. Most people associate Vanuatu with family holidays, but there has been a rise in boutique adult accommodation. Most of these are bungalow and villa style offering private pools and plenty of privacy.
6. Australia. There’s a great choice of accommodation offering child-free serenity, from the outback to the coast, and there’s a strong focus in this country on Spa retreats. A few of our picks: Shantara Resort in Port Douglas, Stonewell Cottages and Vineyards in the Barossa Valley, Kurrajong Retreat in Daylesford, Cedars Mount View in the Hunter Valley, to name just a few.
7. New Zealand. NZ is home to several elegant lodges reserved as the domain of grown ups, with many offering superb dining using local ingredients. Split Apple Retreat, Mt Cook Lakeside Retreat and Otahuna Lodge are just a few of our favourites.
8. Bali. The adults-only offerings in Bali primarily focus on romance, relaxing and well-being, with several health-based retreats. Our top picks are One Eleven Bali, The Bale Nusa Dua, The Royal Santrian and Jamahal Private Resort and Spa.
Our Favourite Adults-Only Resorts
Centara Ras Fushi, Maldives. This 4 star resort offers fantastic dining and snorkelling for those aged over 12 years. The resort comes standard with Half Board meal plan, and it is very inexpensive to upgrade to All Inclusive. If you’re wanting that overwater bungalow experience, without the hefty price tag, this is the place to go.
LikuLiku Lagoon Resort, Fiji. This beautiful 5 star retreat offers some of the few overwater bungalows in Fiji. Designed in a traditional style, this resort oozes refined luxury and All Inclusive meal and drinks package comes standard.
Qualia, Hamilton Island. A luxurious way to experience the Great Barrier Reef. Guests are provided with their own golf buggy for getting around the island and the two restaurants are outstanding.
The Pavilions, Phuket. This hilltop retreat offers spacious suites and villas, many with a private pool. The views over the hills and ocean are simply breathtaking.
The Havannah, Vanuatu. This is one of our most popular couples destinations in the South Pacific. Lovely waterfront villas and exceptional dining, with Full Board included.
Excellence Playa Mujeres, Cancun. This All Inclusive Mexican beachfront resort is a massive 450 room luxury hotel offering sunrise views over the Isa Mujeres. If you’re looking for a resort with everything in one place, this is the place for you.
The Caves, Jamaica. There are so many remarkable adults only, All Inclusive resorts in the Bahamas, but The Caves is consistently on the top of all the ‘must visit’ lists. These unique private cottages offer serenity and privacy overlooking dramatic seaside cliffs.
Auberge du Soleil, Napa, California. Set in the heart of California’s wine country, this luxury resort offers incredible views of the mountains and vineyards. It is home to a Michelin-starred restaurant and award winning Spa.
Hotel Wailea, Maui, Hawaii. This is the only adults-only resort in Hawaii. As part of the Relais and Chateaux group of properties, this picturesque resort is set over 15 landscaped acres with views of the Wailea shoreline. Welcomes over 16s only.
Little Polynesian, Rarotonga, Cook Islands. This boutique, romantic resort is set on the southern tip of Rarotonga stretched along a golden beach with stunning lagoon views.